Tuesday 17 March 2015

'I’m Not the Man I Thought I’d Be' Western Addiction Review

Release Date: 10th March 2015
Label: Fat Wreck Chords



Western Addiction are a punk rock band from San Francisco. One of the key aspects that sets them apart from other punk rock bands on the scene is their history: Western Addiction were a three piece band formed of Fat Wreck Chords employees in the early 2000s, now they are back in 2015 as a four piece. The punk rock veterans are renowned for their bass-heavy riffs and old school punk mentality, which is displayed perfectly on their latest 7” release ‘I’m Not the Man I Thought I’d Be’

Opening track ‘Cold-Hearted Maceration’ is full of angst from the opening second: Jason Hall’s rough vocals merge perfectly with the fast-paced guitar riffs. The bass-filled song is not only catchy, but it definitely proves that punk music is not dead yet.

Despite being a demo track ‘Clatter and Hiss’ demands your full attention: the angry lyrics and pure passion in the vocals are something which most bands leave to be desired. The energetic yet short song instantly transports your mind to a recording studio, as the unedited track is full of raw emotions and riffs.

Final song ‘I'm Not the Man That I Thought I'd Be’ is possibly the best song on the record due to its familiar yet unique structure. The vocals are rough and powerful, and Dara from metal band Serpent Crown sings the second verse. If you had to define modern punk music in one song, ‘I’m Not the Man That I Thought I’d Be’ would definitely do the trick.

8/10





No comments:

Post a Comment