Monday 18 April 2011

LostAlone, The Blackout and My Chemical Romance 13.2.11

On Sunday night, I went to the Birmingham LG arena to go and see My Chemical Romance. It was an amazing night, I hadn't seen My Chemical Romance since I was twelve so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was a fantastic night.

The first support band were called 'LostAlone'. I'll admit, I usually hear a lot of relatively unknown bands but I had never heard of them before. Honestly, they sounded good; they kept in time and interacted with the audience. They played songs such as 'Unleash the Sands of Time' (which seemed to be a crowd favourite), 'Blood is Sharp' (which the intro sounded a lot heavier than the rest of the songs on their set, but didn't live up to expectations) and 'Paradox is a Knife'. They were enjoyable to listen to, but much as the case is for most support bands, there was not much movement in the crowd. However, they were not the most exciting live band and I think that maybe a more lively band would have been more appropriate to support My Chemical Romance, considering how action-packed 'Danger Days' sounds and has been portrayed.

The next support band on were The Blackout. As I've already seen them (and met them!) before, I had extremely high expectations, and I was not disappointed! Although the atmosphere from the crowd was very boring and stationary, The Blackout certainly were not. They started their set with such energy and the opened with 'ShutTheFuckUppercut' which was a great choice. They played two of their new songs from their new album 'Hope': 'Ambition is Crutial' and 'Higher and Higher'. These songs were great and it made me excited for the release of the album in April. They even did a cover of 'I Whip My Hair Back and Forth' which was amusing and showed that they had a good sense of humour. They interacted with the crowd a lot and there were constant jokes about Wales and Birmingham being thrown around, but in a light-hearted manor. All in all, they played a good set and were entertaining to watch.

After a long wait in a crowd full of sweaty, excitable teenagers, My Chemical Romance came on stage. As expected, they opened with 'Na Na Na', but when they came out the crowd reception was intense. Although I like the latest album (Danger Days), I was doubtful of what to expect as My Chemical Romance seem to change their musical style with every album, but after the first song it was evident that they were back... and back for good. Gerard Way was as welcoming as ever and the sense of unity amongst the band and fans was easily apparent. Surprisingly, there was a good mix of old and new songs. They even played songs such as 'Give 'Em Hell Kid' and 'Our Lady of Sorrows', which pleased the older fans (however, I distinctly heard a girl behind me say "I don't know this song!" after every song that wasn't from 'Danger Days'; even after 'I'm Not Okay'!). My personal favourite song of the night was 'Mama' as Gerard is such an incredible front man and his performance in that song is always so fascinating to watch. Unfortunately, I had to leave partway through the last song of the encore, 'Vampires Will Never Hurt You', to get the train, but it was such an amazing night. I know many people who dislike My Chemical Romance, but they put on an undeniably good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment