Monday 16 March 2015

Ashestoangels Interview

I spoke to Crilly from Ashestoangels at Takedown Festival about damaged knees, internet piracy and Johnny Cash.



How do you think your set went today?
Pretty good, nothing broke! I stood on the audience and they seemed to like it! I had a good time, it was really exciting and it is nice to play to a full room during the day.

Are you planning on checking out any of the other bands on today?
Creeper, 5.35pm! I have got the time tattooed on my inner arm like the guy from Les Misérables, except instead of the number from a time that I was in a French prison for stealing bread to feed my family it is just the time to see Creeper! They are going to be good.

How would you describe your music to someone who has not heard it before?
A goth punk explosion!

How has the reception to Horror Cult been?
Pretty good, people seem to like it! They seem to love stealing it from the internet, which I am actually fine with. I would rather people stole it, enjoyed it and came to see us play it. I don’t care about online sales, which is lucky so we gave half of them to Music For Good to put houses somewhere. Somewhere nice, I hope!

What inspired the band name?
David Bowie! Ashes To Ashes is my third favourite David Bowie song, we couldn’t call ourselves Ziggy Stardust or Spiders From Mars, that is a thing!

What made you want to become a musician?
Well I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but that didn’t work out. So I went for the second best of not killing anybody! Also I started going to local gigs and being like ‘yup, that is what I want! I want to be on that stage!’

Who would you say that your major influences are?
It started out as A.F.I and Aiden, and now…  I don’t know, I still love those bands, but I don’t really think about anyone else when I am writing, I just try and write the best songs that I can, the only way I know how… Like Johnny Cash! Three points for the Johnny Cash reference, number three!

What advice would you give to anyone that wants to become a musician or a singer?
Look after your knees! I left my knee brace at home, I made this one out of duct tape and it is pretty bad… I am going to pay for this one tomorrow! When I started out first of all I fucking sucked, and that is fine! You don’t have to be good to begin with; in fact it is good to have to improve because it teaches you valuable lessons. But I really wish that I had learnt how to sing a little bit better than I did in the beginning, like I never used to warm up and because of that I get vocal problems. But yeah: warm up, tune up, play and make sure that you practice and you will be alright!

What inspires you to keep playing songs and writing music?
Stuff like today! I think we are the kind of band that people… There are no like casual fans, people don’t just check us out. People either don’t like us, don’t know us or they are really into it and they are the people that like music the way that I like music. I am an old man compared to most of the people in this venue and to see people who have the same passion that I do is just amazing and I hope that they keep it up, because I have and I am still here.

What do you think that people should expect from a live show?
Well… They are going to get involved! I don’t stand for any of that standing still! And also people have stopped videoing us, there is no video evidence of us playing for the past two years. I don’t take a stand against it, we are not one of those bands who are like ‘fuck your camera!’ or any of that shit, I just think that you are going to have more fun if you are actually involved.

What else do you have planned for 2015?
Got to record another album, because I get bored! We are going to go on tour some more. I really like being on tour and our new van is more reliable so… Cool!

Is there anywhere that you want to play that you haven’t before?
Festivals! I want to start doing the festivals! We are doing D.I.Y tours, and that is fine. We have been doing them forever but now like our last one, half of it is sold out which is fucking crazy! So we are going to keep doing that and building on that. We’d really love to play some festivals! I have such a good time at them!


Ashestoangels head out on tour again later this month with 48Hours. Catch them at a date near you:

March
26 HARLOW - Square
28 MANCHESTER - Satans Hollow
29 NEWCASTLE - Think Tank
30 BIRMINGHAM - Asylum
31 BRIDGWATER - Tiki Beach 

April 
01 LONDON - Barfly

No comments:

Post a Comment