Wednesday 2 January 2013

Interview with Benji Webbe from Skindred 17/12/12


Benji Webbe is the lead singer of the alternative metal band Skindred. He agreed to an interview on the day of their show at Vault Rugby on the 17th December 2012.



Julia: How would you describe your music?
Benji: Interesting, toe-tapping, toe-curling, energetic music.

Julia: Who are your major influences?
Benji: I come from all walks of music, but I’d say my main influence is life.

Julia: What have been the highlights of 2012?
Benji: We did Brixton this year, headlining Brixton Academy definitely.

Julia: What have you got planned for 2013?
Benji: We’re writing a new record and recording a new record.

Julia: Tickets for this show sold out in less than twenty four hours, how do you feel about that?
Benji: I’m honoured, man. I know people come here and they’re going to see a great live show. It’s not the size of the venue, it’s not what the venue looks like, it’s about the energy and the people.

Julia: What should people expect from a Skindred show?
Benji: To be challenged, to be motivated, to be encouraged. To have a feeling of unity amongst the crowd. We’re all in the same room for the same purpose.

Julia: How is the tour going so far?
Benji: Every night has been sold-out, it’s incredible. One fight I’ve had with my band, and it was over before it started.

Julia: How did it feel to play at Download Festival earlier this year, as it had many positive reviews.
Benji: If it wasn’t for You Me At Six I would have had a great show. The fucking bastards took up all the stage, just because they wanted a fair ground behind them. And then they ripped off my Newport helicopter. And the fucking mud on my ass. So Download, as much as a highlight, it was quite… ‘bleugh’ to be honest. So what pissed me off was You Me At Six with the fair ground.

Julia: Are you hoping for a Newport helicopter tonight?
Benji: It’s not up to me, it’s up to the people if they bring the petrol. I’m just the guy who goes ‘right, up!’ It’s up to the people, I’m just the traffic controller.

Julia: Thank you for your time.
Benji: Thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment